Thursday, June 21, 2007

The work has started!

Wow, it is finally getting real. The contractor took a team of about 5 guys to the house for two days and well, what can I say, the place looks different! I think in this case pictures say way more than words. So here goes: a random selection of what I have received from the contractor. Notice that the stair in the kitchen is gone--that took quite some deciding and lots of back and forward, yes, no, what-shall-we-do-kind of pondering. See how in many places the original brick is exposed. We will actually do this intentionally in several places. Robert and I see no reason in trying to make perfect and new a 100 year old house, so we will try to focus on some of those original elements such as the supporting beams and the brickwork. The openness that is created by taking away those ugly doors is amazing,but we are not sure whether we can work out something to keep this airy feeling. We have to pass the energy-efficiency exam and of course do not want to burn money to keep the place heated in the winter of course. A short post this time but a very important one indeed. Back to work now here in Texas.








No comments: