Tuesday, July 31, 2007

The biggest lesson of all

Last Friday two television-network helicopters crashed in mid-air during a pursuit of a story in Phoenix, Arizona. Four people died instantly. One of those people was my best friend's brother, Jimmy. He was only 37, too young, and so full of life and passion. I only met Jimmy a few times but what I remember is his energy and vibrancy.

I have no words for the deep sadness I feel in my heart for my friend and her family. These past few days, Robert and I have done our regular thing, but heavily, and silenced, our minds constantly wandering and reflecting on how fragile life truly is. And how hard it will be to go on, to pick up again with this loss in their midst. His family wrote the obituary that was in today's Austin American Statesman and here is a part from it that I want to share with all of you: "While we will never get over this loss, or recover from this tragedy, I do hope that we can learn something from Jimmy. We should try to live life like him - passionately, with conviction and with a true zeal for life." That is the biggest lesson of all and the only one that truly matters in this life.

written from Texas, with love and sadness, vanessa

1 comment:

xyz said...

Vanessa, Thank you for this post. Yes, it is sad that it takes moments like this to realize how lucky we are. I hope that you can provide Leslie with some comfort. Send Evelina over there - Evelina hugs can be very restorative.