Saturday, January 24, 2009

Not Belgium again...

We have reached a very, very sad state of humanity when someone can randomly and violently start slashing babies. I heard the news yesterday about 2 hours after it had happened. A few hours later, it was world news. "Not Belgium again" printed the Times, recalling the country's past with child-molesters and the Dutroux-murders. Yes, Belgium. Apart from being in utter shock at what happened, people shook their heads and wondered, how could this happen here in Belgium? This stuff is supposed to happen only in America. Seriously. I saw several people make a similar statement on the news yesterday, only in America do you expect this, not here, not in our country.

Something like this SHOULD NOT HAPPEN ANYWHERE people! This is madness. And of course, insanity is everywhere. For there is no other answer in this. This cannot be explained by reason or motive.

The papers stipulate the lunatic-killer might have identified with The Joker from the Batman movies. Apparently he had painted his face and eyes in a similar fashion, had hacked away at his own hair. And all he has done since is laugh. He just sits and laughs during interrogation. (Robert pointed out that Heath Ledger died just a year ago, almost to the day. Don't tell me this was some weird fan gone mad?)

Yet, because we are a humane society, he was given medical care, and three psychiatrists are to figure out now what his problem is. Wouldn't it be a better solution to tie him to a poll in Dendermonde and let the people decide how to punish him? Oh it would be comforting if I believed in Hell the way it is depicted in 14th century churches, with demons incessantly inflicting the torments upon the sinners that they mostly incurred upon others on Earth.

I was barely able to read the paper this morning. My heart aches for all the parents involved in this massacre. I cannot help but think of Breughel's painting "The Massacre of the Innocents" and know that I will never, ever be able to look at that work again in the same way.

This was not what I wanted to write about today. I thank all of my friends in the States who wrote me to express their worries. Evelina is fine. But the feeling of "this could have happened anywhere" will not leave us for a long time.

2 comments:

Fencing Bear said...

You are so right to point out that it is no consolation whatsoever to insist that these sorts of things "should happen only in America." That's just the kind of magical thinking that helps us avoid dealing with the evil in the world: "It won't happen in my country. It won't happen in my city. It won't happen in my neighborhood. It won't happen on my street. It won't happen in my family..."--until it does. I, too, had fantasies yesterday of what I would do if I were the mother of one of the children who has died. It is all too easy to imagine the form revenge would take. We may not believe in Hell as a place with demons anymore, but Hell is real. Pray that the parents do not give into despair.

xyz said...

In my mind, I think Hell does exist -- in that man's head. Who can even imagine being so sick as to think killing babies was "fun" or "right?" Mental illness is one of the scour of our generation: we have the means to help people but continue to fail to do so.
Hold your darling tight, and pack her bags for the summer! I bet "getting away" has never sounded so good...